Feeling Conflicted - 3.5 months since FIRE

People have been asking me if I am panicking now that there seems to be no end to the REITs price slump. Frankly speaking, not really if I am just living my FIRE life. The same people also asked me why don't I liquidate my portfolio and buy in later. My question to them is buy in at what price and on which cue and what signs will signal the buy in? I am really not much of a trader, but a HODLer when it comes to the stock market but once a while I will rejuvenate the portfolio. In the 14 years since I started investing in the stock market, there's so many times that I panic sell to only miss the boat down the road as I wasnt fast enough or smart enough to get back into the market. This crypto meme totally describes me many times over. 

True I may have missed out on making more money from the market, but I can sleep much better at night. I think that to me is very important. 

However, I am actually bothered by some other things nowadays. It's totally a "I asked for it moment".  I mentioned in my previous post that I am intending to buy an EC, and also I just started out as a realtor. Unfortunately these 2 things will require capital upfront. 

I am scratching my head now on how to fund these 2 items without liquidating my portfolio.1 thing for sure is the EC purchase is not a confirmed thing as alot of luck will be required in order for me to get a good queue number as I am considered a second timer and there will be a quota on 2nd timer per EC project. 

Comments

  1. Actually both endeavour would require capital outflow.
    As a realtor, it is like having a business, with marketing/advertising cost taking up a big chunk initially which might not guarantee pay-out later, not to mention the transport cost. But I think it is well within your passive income level.

    Well, I read that you recently sold a portion of your portfolio (approx. $100K+ if I am not wrong). This will also affect your passive income some what (proportionally may not be a lot). That is the double edge part of having a dividend portfolio. In a way to sustain the dividend income, one need to stay invested long term... of course we can try to time the XD dates to sell and buy in later (but hard to do).. to liquidate might temporarily lower the passive income (if out for too long).

    Anyway volatility is temporary, and with time (and some capital injection), the realtor business should get better over time... the pace is really up to you (you are your own boss).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah agreed. Both require capital outflow that's why to be on the safe side, I need to stop 1 for now to prevent falling between 2 stools. Those I sold were my profitable growth stocks. I already put some back into REITs while withholding the rest as "capital" for either the purchase/war chest/realtor business. thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  2. If the EC purchase is an 'upgrade', you could postpone it and focus on buying stocks on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purchase is more on an investment angle. Pretty long term one though. 8 years before I can sell.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts