Why did I give up on the "RE" aspect of FIRE.

 




Time flies, I am almost into my 5th month of working full time. A few people were asking me why the sudden change in mind, and is it because financially it isnt working out?

It is normal to think that way since ability to retire is intrinsically linked to the financial means to survive without a job, and also perhaps partly because of the post that I have that my potfolio has shrank by close to 300k.

I am glad to say that it's not due to financial reason that I am back to work full time.

1. The main reason why I am returning to full time work is boredom and the feeling that I am wasting my time away, I basically run out of things to do. When I started my FIRE life back in july last year. I had 2 very good friends who were not busy with work back then. 1 was studying full time, the other 1 was waiting for covid restrictions to end, so life was great. Eventually they got back to work.

My kids go to school full day and realtor business has been slow . My only hobby is cycling but not during wet season as I hate washing bikes. So I find myself not doing much since Dec 2022. In my own words, I run out of kakis to slack together, so that makes things abit painful. I feel that I am wasting my time away. Things would have been different if I have friends who are at the same stage as as me.

2. Achieving FIRE doesnt mean you need to stop work entirely. It means you now have the flexibility of choosing what you want to do in your life. In my case, I am trying to be a realtor, albeit in pretty difficult times. haha. Also I took on a full time job that pays lesser but gives me all the time in the world with my family. So basically the full time work gives me a fixed income without me sacrificing my family life. I literally have the cake and get to eat it too. It feels like a win to me.

3. Yes my portfolio shrank by quite abit, but the companies businesses are essentially intact. They are still paying dividends. My source of passive income is the dividend paid out, I dont sell the shares to pay for my monthly expenses.

Financially it worked as per my planning, even though we may be going through the next biggest financial crisis of our life time.

What failed me was the lack of companions at the same stage of life to do things together. I also cant pack up and go travelling because I have 2 young kids at home. So that kinda restrict the things I can do during my free time.

So, this is it, this is my FI(RE) story. What's yours?

Comments

Popular Posts