AMA Q&A Part #2 - How I deal with inflation

 


Question about how I fight inflation. Frankly speaking, I dont really feel the pinch from inflation, perhaps because I don't spend much to start with? I felt the same for the 9 months I wasnt working as well. It didn't really affect me. Perhaps also because I don't have a mortgage to service?


I am thinking, it's also because of how I hate overpaying for things, I will always seek out alternatives. I had a post on antiseptic, dettol brand vs walch brand. Serves the same purpose but the latter is much cheaper.

I do realise alot of people have the "Aiya, i am too lazy, it's not much a difference mentality", but it's the same people who will complain about how much their expenditure has increased.

For example, when singapore's electricity market opened up years ago, I took it up almost straight away. It's a no brainer and quite hassle free. However, I have this very good friend decided that spending 30 mins to sign up with a retailer is too much of a hassle. He stayed on with Sg powers when he could just save 10-20 percent electricity bill easily.

When the oil price rocketed, so did his electricity bill and he started complaining about how the government should do more to bring down the cost. Well, the govt did, but you refused to spend 30 mins to sign up for the retailer.

So really, fighting inflation is easy during every day life, if it's not mortgage related.

Start with looking at the things you spent on, look at alternatives.

1. Do you really need to stick to XXXX brand? Or can a supermarket house brand does the same job?

2. Do you really need the item now? or can you buy it online and wait for awhile, say from Taobao? Practice delayed gratification. I just bought a push cart trolley from taobao for 60 dollars including shipping. However, the same one will cost me 130 dollars in singapore.

3. Do you really need all those monthly subscriptions? Disney, netflix, prime , or even youtube premium? I am guilty, I have disney, netflix and prime but I am not complaining because I decided that Ill maintain it but the truth is, I hardly watch disney or prime. Maybe I should cancel it.

4. And also if you drive, dont pump full tank when refuelling, pump the minimal amount that will give you the maximum discount. For example, I go with SPC+UOB card. The latter provides me with 3 dollars discount if I pump a minimum of 60 dollars. However, it's still 3 dollars if I pump 150 dollars 1 shot. I refuel once per week, for those who drives alot more, maybe this may not be practical, but hey you want to save money right?

5. Toiletries and stuff. Where did you buy them from? I always bulk purchase mine at those shops at china town. Just for example, the same brand tooth paste may cost 2-3 dollars more at ntuc compared to the shops at china town. If I buy 10 of it, I save at least 20 dollars after offsetting petrol and parking.

Comments

Popular Posts