AMA Q&A Part #1 - What's my savings/investment ratio.


Questions from instagram followers. 

There was a question on how much was my savings/investment/salary ratio when I first started working. That's 15 years ago, man I feel old.

This may sound a little shocking to most people but I was always around 90% invested. I was able to carry on like this for at least a good 8-10 years I supposed? I used to travel alot for work. Thus, most of my expenses were actually paid for. Transport, meals, laundry and I also have per diem, so that's extra daily cash.

I was fortunate to have a relatively good paying job right from the start with so much travelling involved, that I hated going on holidays. Haha, so that's another huge chunk of savings.

However, bane of the job is that my family/social life was severely impacted. I missed alot of weddings, birthdays and CNYs. I remember there was this trip to 1 of the countries in south asia. Not the best infrastructure. I was supposed to fly back to Singapore the day before my brother's wedding. It was almost mission impossible. A 10 mins car ride to the airport became 2 hrs, bumper of the car fell off , and the driver happily picked up the bumper and put it through the back door and continue the trip to the airport. The car also stopped right smack on a rail way track, and we were asked to come out from the car, just in case a train goes past. Driver assured us this is very normal.

Fortunately our client was really influential in the country and they made a call to the airline, and the airplane was literally waiting for us on the tarmac. We ran across the tarmac carrying our luggage with us and board the plane. I still can remember all the stares from the other passengers who had to wait for us. I felt really bad, but at least I got home to my brother's wedding!

Comments

Popular Posts