What I liked about my previous job in the Oil & Gas Industry

 


I used to be a PMET (a very Singaporean abbreviation, if you are unsure, it actually means professional, managerial, executive and technical) in the oil and gas industry, more specifically upstream oil and gas. Yes, the once sexy and lucrative industry back in the days. I don't regret making a career out of it as it does have its perks.

1. It pays comparatively better than other industries, even when oil price was in the doldrum, that is if you are spared from the retrenchment. I was even paid a bonus for joining my first company. That paid off my university school fee. Definitely help in my journey towards FIRE. If I didn't start my career in this industry, I wouldn't be writing this post.

2. Travels. ALOT of travels. It was fun. Spent months in Europe and Asia. The thing about people in my industry, they know how to have fun. So it’s work hard, play harder. I was over dosed with travelling and partying at 1 point of time.

3. Exposure to the wider world. Close to 90 percent of immediate colleagues I worked with are foreigners. You have a better understanding of what’s going on in the whole world. Point 2 and 3 are why I can appreciate being a Singaporean much better compared to when I was still an university student.

I am curious about the readers. What do you all do for a living? Or used to do? What do you like about your job? Do share~


Comments

  1. Haha nothing I like except for the pay. Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, it's not uncommon to only like the pay. Having fun at work is bonus. Unfortunately for me, the one thing that I like about my career eventually caused me to quit it entirely.

      Delete
  2. Oh then you might have quite some to chat about with Rolf given his background in oil (https://rolfsuey.com/) although he hasn't been posting in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I just had a read in some of his posts! Though I still cant quite figure out which segment of oil and gas he is/was in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts