What is in your Mayonnaise Jar? Why do you Chase after FIRE?

I just want to share this very common sense but yet easily forgotten philosophy ( To me, most philosophical saying is extremely common sense but we tend to ignore them unless something drastic has happened in our life) as we climb the corporate ladder.  I received a farewell email from an ex-colleague on my final day of work in reply to my farewell email. They are aware that the decision to stop working is not something that I would have chosen if I didn't have my family issues to tackle. 

Credits to this Site

In some sense, I accidentally "RE "- Retire Early.  Of coz I was chasing for the stage of FIRE from years ago, but even though work sucks, I still had a way to cope with it. It's only when the family issue is added to the equation, I totally lost the ball game.  I am only human. :(

When i read the article from my ex colleague, i am like yeap, that's why i quit. My jar was filled with sand and pebbles then, there's just no more room for golf balls. Work call takes precedence over everything.  I had to empty the jar in order to put in what is the most important to me. I mentioned before previously, work to me is to earn the dough to survive and support the family, however if earning more dough comes with major sacrifice , then what's the point?  

I also had an interesting talk with an ex colleague who was 50+ years old. He shook my hand and told me he wished he did the same as me when he was younger. He shared that his teen son told him that he is not fit to be a father as he was always away during the younger days. My heart broke for him when i heard that. It is just so unfair. Not enough money, perhaps the children will say how come my parents so useless, cannot stay condo, cannot drive conti, cannot go europe for holidays. Too much money but no time to spend with the kids, they will also complain that you are not fit to be a parent as you are always working. Of coz, I am not saying all kids are like that. At least, I wasn't like this as mentioned in my previous post.

Even though I believe in the concept of FIRE, I will not say everyone should take that as an end game. Some people love their job that brings in the dough, but not sacrificing family time, so that's like the holy grail of work life balance. If I was in that position, I wouldn't be at the stage I am now. 

If you are fine with the work, ok with your colleagues and boss , no impact to your family life and mental/physical health, then there's really no rush to quit isnt it?  You can still enjoy the FI part of things and retire as soon as you want to! Isnt that the best thing in life? To have options. 

If you have things that you are curious about and prefer to ask it through email. please feel free to contact me on happyreitinvestor@gmail.com. Will be very happy to hear from you!


Comments

Popular Posts