3rd day of being unemployed - What now?

So 1 of the questions that I get very often is what's my plan to fill up my day when the kids are at school? There's a few things I want to achieve now that I am not working.

1. To lose at least 5kg by having a healthier diet and more exercise.  I used to have a very healthy diet but it all went down the drain after I have kids and work became more hectic. I ended up snacking alot, eating a BIG breakfast everyday to make myself happier. 

2. To get my property agent license. I am still waiting for the exam date! Does anyone of you know whats going on? Normally the exam date is announced 2 months prior to exam. It's supposedly in August, but still no confirmation of exam date. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? Do share?  If I fail to secure any exam slot, ill go contact my financial advisor friend. 

3. Maybe learn how to cook so that everyone eats healthy at home.

I am currently on my way to the bod on the right. Haha, hopefully I can achieve the bod of the left after the end of my career break!


So I decided to write a post on LinkedIn to announce my career break, like finally after months of notice period. I struggled for a while wondering if the asian society is ready for a full time dad, what if I changed my mind after a few months of not working, what if the post ends up to be my career suicide move? In the end, I decided to do it to let my network know that I am no longer in the game (for now),  and I dont have to repeat my reason for having a career break when I meet up with people. It is actually quite tiring!

Shortly after the post went up, I received 2 msges. The first msg is from an ex colleague asking me for a job, I am like what's the problem with this guy? I just told you that I quit naked to be a full time dad to my kids and you decided to send me a msg to look for a job?  Maybe I can recommend him to join the unemployed club. Or maybe he is already unemployed. I dont know. 

A second msg came from an acquaintance from secondary school. We were never close though we are connected on social media. In fact, of the 4 years of secondary school, i think we spoke less than 50 times?  He is currently a financial advisor and asked if i am interested to be a part time financial advisor. Frankly speaking, i thought of it before but I prefer to do something related to properties ( hello, REIT investor...). I declined his offer but told him ill get in touch with him if i changed my mind. We then catch up a little on life. He shared that he is a cancer survivor, I was shocked! On top of that, his eldest kid has hereditary blood disorder and went through blood transfusion a few times. At that moment of time, i had new found respect for him and we ended the conversation saying life is short, we should cherish what we have. 

Again, nothing financial about this post as the market has a general direction nowadays and everyone knows it. I also dont find the need to adjust my portfolio for now. I have went through several financial crisis for the past 14 years. Every time there's a major correction happening, I will sell thinking that i can buy back later at lower price, but I almost always miss the boat. :) I am just not good enough to be that kind of investor. The good news is Alibaba is staying above 110 although 120 is an extremely stubborn resistance. Once it punches through, the rise will be astronomical. This is just my wish. Not saying that it will happen. haha. 

From now on, I think i will do one entry per month with regards to my unemployed life so that when i am much older, i can look back and be amused with the things i write. 


Comments

  1. Hope to achieve your status... Haha. I just took a 3 day impromptu break to just leave SG for a breather... Now back for more challenges

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts