Year 2023 In Review

 



I have always loved Christmas though I don't really celebrate it. Perhaps it's just the much cooler weather.

Year 2023 is a special year for me. If Year 2022 was a year of self discovery, 2023 is a year of reflection. Allow me to recap a little. Back in 2022, I decided that I had enough of being a worker bee and tried out the FIRE lifestyle. Got myself a realtor license because I have always been interested in properties and embarked on my realtor journey. Turns out I joined the industry at the worst time ever. 😂.

In 2023, I got back to the corporate world, getting a job that aligned with my own T&Cs. It was great, I had so much time but I didn't have friends around me who are at the same stage of life. I begin to wonder if career and family time is really a zero sum game. Perhaps it's not after all.

So what If i want to have the cake and eat it as well? If I step up my game at work, do I really have to sacrifice my family time. That's when I realised, I do have sufficient bandwidth to cover both career and family aspect. I totally underestimated the tenacity of a human.

I decided that I will fuss less about the kids. After all they are just kids. Sometimes it's just a matter of perspective. It's useless screaming at them when they are in their tantrum mood, it's just going to make things worse.

I used to spend my time at my parents' place using my phone. Nowadays, I sit down, have a meal and chat with them about their days and the grandchildren. I can sense that they seem happier which makes me happy as well.

I have known my wife for more than 20 years. Cant say things are always a bed of roses. Things do get monotonous after 2 kids and 2 decades. Again, it's all about making the effort to introduce the spark into the relationship again. I decided to "date" her again. It does work!

Through out the 9 months of FIRE and another 9 months in a transition role at work, I had alot of time to think about life and what I really want personally, family and career wise.

Investment wise. It's not too good but could have been worse. Value of portfolio went below 1m, but dividend is at ATH. 

I am definitely more focused ,calmer and Zen nowadays compared to the HRI 18 months ago and I am glad I made the decision to try out FIRE back in Apr 2022.


Comments

Popular Posts